Here’s yet another Independence day, a day that now symbolises mandatory speeches which somehow don’t mean anything and a day on which our tricolour is waved around animatedly and then discarded without a second thought. Our freedom fighters who were heroes to a generation have now become mere lessons in History ; with whom it’s becoming quite difficult to identify with. I was on the lookout for people who I could point out to my children as role models. I wanted Heroes and I found them around me. My Heroes have never been mentioned in any magazines and they themselves are not aware of the significance of what they are doing. They are just living their lives as they know how to and living it according to their beliefs,convictions and value systems. These are my Heroes….
- The parents who have 3 daughters all of whom are blind.Hailing from an orthodox family background they believed in their children and educated all of them. They don’t feel they’re doing anything special, just what has to be done.
- The just- out -of- college youngster who decided to help his father in his modest family business instead of following his dreams. I see him and feel optimistic about this generation.
- The lady who works harder than a lot of people I know, who’s got a smile that will cheer up your day like the most beautiful sunrise. She works as a maid and she’s got so many problems at home that it will make us weep for days. I’ve never seen her without a smile.
- A lady who with her hubbie’s full support adopted a baby girl. She then went ahead and adopted a second baby. I so admire her for the dignity with which she has done it and the wonderful hands on mother she is .
- The young girl who saw her family being evicted while still a teen; got a job and educated her brother ; worked hard,really hard and supported her family. She’s happily married now.
Jai Ho !