Ads and the perfect woman !
Message to the Makers of Ads :
I am tired of seeing your horrendously outdated portrayal, no not outdated but I would say erroneous portrayal of women in your ads.There is a whole segment of women out there who are well informed and knowledgeable and who live life with dignity and passion and on their own terms. Women featuring in ads are either college going girls or staid uninteresting doormats or jolly grandmothers. I think the 40 plus age category is wholly ignored by the ad world or if they are shown, it’s usually as a smiling contented mother figure who is happy with the accomplishments of her husband or children. Where are the funky, feisty ladies I see in real life? Here are some of the thoughts which run through my mind when I think of advertising and women…
- Do not show me women happily washing clothes. Women ( in general) hate washing clothes and the right washing powder definitely does not bring out the sleeping washerwoman in me !
- We do tax our brains for decisions relating to more than detergents and cosmetics.
- I do not come back from a shopping expedition, especially for provisions, looking fresh and peaceful. I’m hassled,tired and irritated and I certainly will not go into raptures thinking about the wonderful soap that I bought.
- Whatever is cooked has to be eaten by everybody and I will not prepare a different kind of meal for each member of the family. Get real for gods sake ! Moreover I think it’s highly inconsiderate to expect somebody to do that even if the company has got the right kind of mix for each dish.
- I am capable of making financial decisions and I know a lot of women who are excellent decision makers. I would love to see an ad where a woman is approached for an insurance policy or for buying a house rather than being relegated to a smiling prop in the background.
- Can I please see an ad where the man packs the lunch boxes for the family ? There are a lot of wonderful fathers who do that and a lot more.
C’mon, show me a real woman …….